Monday, March 23, 2009

Banana Cream Pie in a Bowl

I'm not really a cream pie fan. Luckily, this dessert doesn't remind me of cream pie. It is, however, delicious, and easy to make in a more healthful way, if you so choose.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup firm butter or margerine
1/2 cup peanuts (I've never used peanuts in this recipe, but I'm in no position to decide whether or not you'd like peanuts in your Banana Cream Pie in a bowl, so I'll leave it in)
1 box (4-serving size) banana instant pudding and pie filling mix
2 cups cold milk
3 ripe medium bananas, sliced
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. In medium bowl, mix flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter, using pastry blender, until mixture is crumbly. Stir in peanuts (I mean... if you want). Press evenly on bottom of ungreased 9-inch square pan. Bake about 15 minutes or until light brown. Stir to break up. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

2. In large bowl, make pudding mix as directed on box, using 2 cups milk. In 2-quart serving bowl, layer half of the crumb mixture, pudding, bananas, and whipped topping; repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Top with additional peanuts if desired (if you're into that). Store in refrigerator.

Leslie's tidbits: I usually buy the 6-serving pudding, which calls for an additional cup of milk. When I use the 4-serving size... I feel there's never enough pudding. Also... it is ready for consumption long before 4 hours has gone by.


No comments: