Sunday, June 21, 2009

Garlic Chicken Stir Fry with Quinoa, Peppers, and Basil

Dave and I tried this recipe tonight. It is approved, Phase 2 food (South Beach Diet). It sounded delicious, then as I was cooking it, I thought, "Hmm... maybe this won't be quite so delicious." But then it was delicious! It pulled the ol' trickeroo on me!

1 cup Quinoa, prepared with chicken stock, according to package directions (so you'll need two cups chicken stock)
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders
4 tbsp garlic flavored olive oil (I just used regular because that's all I had)
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (I used green)
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
20 leaves fresh sweet basil, julienne (I just used dried basil... b/c I was too lazy to go to the store)
grated parmesan cheese

Cut chicken into one-inch pieces. Heat large nonstick skillet over high heat and add the oil. Add chicken and saute for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add onions, bell peppers; saute for one or two more minutes; add garlic and saute until peppers become slightly limp, but still bright, about one to two minutes; season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from heat; add basil and quinoa. Toss until basil wilts; garnish with parmesan cheese. Serves four.
Salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

shannon said...

Did Dave approve? How is the ol' SB diet going? Sounds like a good recipe...we might have to give it a try!

Traci said...

Now that sounds like a tasty treat. I have been trying to figure out how to introduce quinoa to my diet and this may just be the ticket. Thanks Les.